The main building that now comprises most of the Baird Center Association’s Complex was opened in 1912. And, according to local historian Melanie Barr, it was the largest industrial structure in the city at that time and to this day is the largest early industrial structure still in use in the city.
The building houses Akira Wood’s main offices and wood-working shop, as well as the Acrosstown Repertory Theatre.
The most recent improvements to the building were initiated in the winter of 1998, and included a new tin roof to replace what was probably only the second application of tin since the building’s inception.
Then in the spring of 1999, the owners replaced the old dilapidated farm-type fencing with the decorative aluminum fence that now adorns the over-600 feet facing both Depot Avenue and Main Street.
At the same time, the decking (once the old rail spur loading dock) that runs the entire length of the building facing Depot and Main was totally replaced and Akira Wood added a large deck for employee breaks.
The exterior of the building facing Depot and Main was also painted with a historic color of the period.